New Jersey Medical Marijuana Laws
New Jersey’s medical marijuana patient registry finally opened on August 09, 2012 and allowed registered physicians to start accepting patients with the Medical Marijuana Program. In 2016 the total budget for New Jersey’s Medical Marijuana Program is $2,046,730. Ever wonder who administers the Medicinal Marijuana Program, or what physicians have to do to certify patients? Here are some New Jersey Medical Marijuana Facts that might answer a few of your questions.
- New Jersey became the 14th state to allow medical marijuana in 2010. The New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services administers the Medicinal Marijuana Program.
- The New Jersey Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act required the Department of Health to create the Medical Marijuana Program to register medical marijuana physicians, patients, and caregivers, and to issue permits to Alternative Treatment Centers
- Under the New Jersey Medical Marijuana law, patients are issued medical marijuana ID cards (aka cannabis cards) through the New Jersey Medicinal Marijuana Program.
- Physicians must be registered with the Medicinal Marijuana Program in order to certify patients eligibility.
- New Jersey patients are not allowed to grow their own marijuana, a fact that distinguishes NJ from most medical marijuana states.
- New Jersey doctors will need to specify the amount of marijuana that a patient will require and this is the exact amount that will be dispensed by the alternative treatment center. There is however a maximum limit of 2 ounces of usable cannabis per 30-day period.
- You must have and maintain a bona fide physician-patient relationship with a physician who is registered with the Medical Marijuana Program.
- Your physician must have certified that you have an approved debilitating medical condition.
- Penalties for possession are severe, with a possible 6-month sentence and $1000 fine for just one ounce. This being the 4th harshest punishment for such possession in the nation.
Learn more about the New Jersey Medical Marijuana Laws and how we might be able to help treat your pain. Contact us for your free consultation today.
ABOUT ELITE ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE
Elite Alternative Medicine is a premier medical specialty clinic with a board certified physician, Dr. Russell L. Adams, providing direct patient care. We will work with you to navigate successfully through the process in New Jersey to obtain medicinal marijuana. Our office manager and staff will provide you with a professional and courteous experience.